Search by job title or keyword
Despatch Team Manager
Shop Direct (the home of Very.co.uk & Littlewoods) have some great opportunities for experienced Despatch Team Manager's to support us at our new automated and purpose-built fulfilment centre at East Midlands Gateway in Derby.
The Despatch Team Manager will manage Despatch and shift Transport activity, meeting defined objectives and day-to-day operational requirements. They will identify and exploit improvement opportunities on an ongoing basis, leading the team and processes within the transport operational area of the fulfilment centre. They are responsible for ensuring Health & Safety risks are proactively managed to deliver a safe place to work. They will work in a team of 4 reporting directly to the Transport Manager.
- To ensure the smooth running of the allocated Transport shift, ensuring appropriate resources (people, equipment) are available to meet planned activity levels.
- Ensure compliance to all relevant legislation affecting transport operations.
- Maintain and enhance effective working relationships with shift supervisors and their staff.
- Contribute to the identification, evaluation and where appropriate implementation, of improvement initiatives within the Transport operation.
- Ensure staff work to the processes and procedures relating to the Transport operation.
- Recruitment of supervisory and driver staff/shunter as required.
- Setting staff performance levels, providing feedback on achievement and identifying improvement opportunities.
- Regular communication with shift staff on departmental and shift matters.
- Drive cross functional working to ensure delivery of site KPIs
- Analyse reports and data to check activity is in line with target/expectation and the use of this data to identify issues, ensuring appropriate escalations are raised and resolutions found.
- Participate in regular reviews of operational process, the maintenance of SOPs and risk assessments
- Act as a subject matter expert for Transport Operation, as well as understanding how the wider operation works
- Be an ambassador for Shop Direct, setting the tone for our culture, role modelling our values and fostering a culture of open, 2-way communication in a performance driven environment
Essential knowledge, skills, role specific qualifications:
- Experience in a distribution environment, of which at least 2 should have been in a transport management, warehouse management or supervisory position within a logistics or supply chain environment.
- Experience of leading a team within a fulfilment or manufacturing environment to achieve departmental and site KPIs
- Experience of developing, coaching and engaging a team
- Comprehensive knowledge of operational activity within an automated fulfilment centre
- Understanding of the end to end process within an automated fulfilment centre.
- Ability to deputise for the Transport Manager if and when required
- Understanding of Continuous Improvement tools & techniques
- Understands commercial impacts of decisions made
- Resilient, with the ability to deal with challenges arising through the start-up of the site
- Flexible approach with a desire to exceed targets through proactive management.
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for experienced Despatch Team Manager's looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Kieran Grundy in the talent acquisition team at Shop Direct or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you are required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A competitive salary and benefits package is available for the successful applicant.