Search by job title or keyword
Principal Data Engineer
We're Shop Direct, proud home of Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and 3,500 super-talented people. We're on a mission to transform retail. We want to provide the best shopping experiences for our 4 million customers by bringing together over 1,800 brands they love and flexible ways for them to spread the cost using credit. It’s what makes us tick; it’s what makes us the largest integrated digital and fintech retailer in the UK, and a very exciting place to work.
About the role.
Shop Direct have embarked on an ambitious journey, to modernise our Data domain working with new cutting edge technology working within the Data Science and Engineering team.
Our Data Engineers work within squads working towards a backlog of work to grow and develop our Data Lake and Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) in the cloud. We’re also looking for someone to help automate processes and embed re-useable patterns removing the need to manually maintain solutions.
Today we're redesigning our data lake in AWS to allow our Data Science & Analytical teams access to explore and uncover new opportunities for our customers. In addition, we are building a new Data Warehouse capability in the cloud that will extract data from the data lake and can be used both internally for reporting and analysis but will also feed our website to enhance and inspire our customers to engage with us more often.
For us internally the Principal Data Engineer will be the Tech Lead for squads or projects and will ultimately oversee the delivery working cross functionally until successful delivery.
Externally the Principal Data Engineer will be recognised for their extensive knowledge with external meet up communities and technical forums to ensure Shop Direct stay at the cutting edge of data technological developments.
As our Principal Data Engineer you will oversee and engineer across multiple squads and projects ensuring deliveries remain on time and in budget. Working to an agreed backlog owned by the Product Owner, providing estimates on our Engineering effort.
In this space we run daily stand up’s on work in progress highlighting challenges that require further assistance and we’d like you to be at the forefront of these and help lead any resolutions to development or support challenges, liaising with Product Owners and Delivery Managers for prioritisation.
To be successful in this role you will need to build and maintain strong business relationships with Third Party vendors ensuring Shop Direct are utilising technology in the most cost effective and performant way as well as ensure the development of new solutions do not breach any regulatory legislation such as GDPR. It’s incredibly important to us that the team ensure customer data is protected at all times at a proactive level.
You’ll have a comprehensive understanding of new technological developments around data ingestion, EDW, BI and analytical software.
- Experience of working within a Dev Ops function that can balance development and provide 24x7 support.
- Prior experience in migrating from on premise to cloud based technology.
- Ability to manage cost in the cloud utilising cloud benefits such as auto-scaling and automation.
- Hands on experience with one or more programming languages such as Java, Python, SQL or Scala
- An understanding in AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, Hadoop, Redshift, Snowflake, PostgreSQL or similar data warehouse technologies using large sets of data.
- Experience improving software deliverables utilising engineering best practices such as, reusability & continuous integration.
- A proven ability to adapt in an ever changing fast paced environment whilst still being able to deliver value.
- Superb communication skills that can adapt the right style and tone to different stakeholders (Engineers, Analysts, Delivery Managers, End Users)
- Ability to articulate the end to end journey and capabilities from data ingestion through to data consumption.
- Prior experience working with machine learning technology (SAS RTDM, Decision Manager, SAS ESP).
- You are an individual that thrives on change ensuring that you stay ahead of new upcoming technologies through attending regular forums, meet ups or online courses.
- Sound experience of developing and managing re-usable code for ETL and data transformation.
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- £1,000 of flexible benefits allowance (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Bonus up to 14%
- Matched pension at 6%
- 1x Life Assurance / Private Medical
- Brand discount up to 25%
- Cycle to work scheme
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Free on-site parking *subject to post code
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
How to apply.
If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at Shop Direct or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.