Search by job title or keyword
Commercial Solicitor ( Legal Councel) - Fixed term contract
Shop Direct are recruiting for a qualified solicitor ( ideally with Commercial experience) to cover maternity ( initially 10 month contract)
In the world of retail things happen fast, especially at Shop Direct. We're transforming at an unprecedented rate, becoming a truly world class digital retailer. Ensuring we make our customers aware of products that are relevant to them is really important to us and we know its really important to our customer. Its central to our strategy and why we're looking to attract the very best talent we can and build on our already impressive team.
Our amazing legal team support all parts of our vibrant and busy business and this role will play a lead role in Negotiating
supplier and commercial draft contracts as well as generalist legal support. The team truly operate on a united front and and there is a real mentor/men-tee culture whereby people can come and genuinely grow and learn in a company that trusts and empowers you to make decisions.
Alongside this there are great benefits to working for a company like Shop Direct such as flexible and home working, an on site gym, onsite coffee and juice bars and discount from very.co.uk.
About the role
This role will cover a broad range of commercial contracts, including IT, marketing, consultancy, logistics, sponsorship and general procurement. It will entail regularly advising on aspects of intellectual property, data protection, distance selling and e-commerce and require a broad understanding of the implications of operating within a regulated financial services environment.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
- Contract review, drafting and negotiation for a range of different agreements.
- Maintaining extensive knowledge of UK and EU legal and regulatory developments affecting Shop Direct’s activities and the retail financial services marketplace and identifying potential legal and regulatory change to ensure impacts are sufficiently understood and mitigated.
- Maintaining effective relationships with all relevant business areas and regulatory bodies through a pragmatic, commercial and business focussed approach and demonstrating a sound understanding of business processes within the Group, the interdependencies between them and the impact upon them of external legal and regulatory changes.
- Application of analytical and process skills, specialist knowledge and innovative thinking to offer support and guidance on complex legal and operational problems, including assessing the legal/regulatory risks involved in any given situation, the impact of systems and operational capabilities and the impact on all other dependent areas of the Group.
- Consistent demonstration of effective communication and influencing skills, with the ability to convey the implications of complex technical legal issues to non-subject matter experts at all levels and the confidence to challenge and escalate appropriately.
- Providing structured training and on the job guidance and training to staff in a variety of departments, raising awareness of legal and regulatory risks relevant to them.
- Supporting a range of commercial projects within the Shop Direct business.
- Ability to work independently and use own initiative whilst having the support of senior lawyers within the team.
- Ability to manage competing demands and to work under pressure
We are looking for a Commercial Solicitor or Legal Counsel who is able to demonstrate sound commercial awareness and judgement, logical problem-solving skills and excellent interpersonal and team skills.
You will have effective communication and influencing skills with the ability to convey the implications of complex technical issues to non-subject matter experts. Personality fit with the team and with the Shop Direct Culture and Values are critical.
How to Apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for a solicitor who has gained experience of a range of commercial contracts, ideally within the retail or financial services sector, looking to further their experience working for a major digital retailer and financial services provider.
To find out more please apply online or email
Please note that the Talent Acquisition team at Shop Direct is managing this vacancy directly and will not be accepting CVs sent by any recruitment agencies
Please be advised, if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, fraud and CRB check.