“We were the 1st UK retailer to launch a CUI for customer service. We’ve recently added biometric logins to our app experiences. And we’re currently aiming to roll out other huge projects such as our New Credit Environment (NCE), more native mobile apps, and innovative chatbots built on Watson technology and true AI experiences. But we are not stopping there!”
Let's lead the charge.
We’re the UK’s largest integrated pureplay digital retailer and financial services provider. We’re super proud of our transition from a catalogue retailer to a pureplay etailer, but our transformation is far from over.
We want to build the number one shopping destination for shoppers who value credit anywhere online. Innovation is key, we're focussed on using technology to significantly improve customers’ experiences. That means having the right tech, talent and ways of working to deliver what matters most to our customers quickly and effectively.
Our highly talented teams continue to test, learn and invest in disruptive innovation that solves important customer challenges.
Our next chapter has just begun, so we need people who can lead the charge – there’s lots to do in defining who we are and how we’ll work in tech.
We believe our setup and culture truly sets us apart when it comes to our capabilities in data, technology, experimentation, process and people.
All of which means it’s the perfect time to join us as we continue to shape the way we do things around here; experiencing true agility, loads of support to develop, opportunities to pay with the latest tech, and the chance to redefine our apps and make a huge impact on our industry.
So what are we doing?
Right now, we’re modernising our entire tech stack, using a cloud-first strategy and we’re building out high performance, scalable and secure platforms.
We’re building completely new systems where we know we make a difference to our customer – we need software engineers who have experience of building digital/e-commerce and FS/fintech systems that support millions of customers.
At the same time, we’re also implementing some of the best Software as Service that’s out there in CRM, ERP, Order Management – we need software engineers who have experience of integrating and evolving these systems.
- This means we are looking for people with differing skills, as our tech stack is rich and deep in diversity. This varies from needing engineers who understand and work with cloud tech, SaaS, PaaS, Data stacks, microservcies, API’s, and cutting edge web technology.
- Data: This is at the heart of our strategy and is the lifeblood of the organisation. We are already on a journey, building a Data Lake that will be used to feed our new Decisioning, Data Warehouse, BI and Analytics tools which we are currently moving to cloud. To do this, we are expanding our team of data engineers who love working collaboratively and are passionate to ensure our new capabilities reach out to our customers, inspiring them to shop with us more.
- Testing / QA: We have an enviable industry record of success in events such as Black Friday because we take what we do so seriously and learn from our experiences. Our Quality Engineers are advocates for quality and add value throughout the journey of our code. That value add is varied: ensuring the quality is being baked in from early stages, right the way through to ensuring the right people are testing at the right time. The right people may be developers, the squad, the business, or the end user, or it could be ensuring we have the right logging, monitoring, alerting in live. Our Test Engineers are highly skilled, are great question askers, have great soft skills, and are curious, adaptable, and resilient. They are skilled at turning data from testing activities into rich information for decisions to be made, and put the customer at the heart of all they do.
- Architecture: Our teams of enterprise and solution architects are responsible for delivering roadmaps across all business domains. Ensuring close alignment between strategic direction, business objectives and design principles. Using models and architectural frameworks to identify key relationships and gaps between business objectives, process & IT systems. Our teams work via agile collaboration with delivery teams to guide, influence and deliver technical solutions, which enhance operational efficiently, provide visionary guidance and sustainable IT platforms that enable growth.
- Engineering: Software engineers are responsible for building, integrating and supporting a wide variety of applications that underpin our customer and business processes. Our engineers focus on creating a number of software centres of excellence across a variety of technologies that are either in-house built or SaaS based that can support the needs of the various product teams across our business. Our tech stack typically involves the likes of Java, Hadoop, Scala, Spark, AWS, Teradata and much more.
- Cloud: Our cloud engineers drive the delivery of our cloud infrastructure, automation, integration, performance, security, availability, monitoring and cost management that enables Shop Direct to realise its Cloud First vision which is cloud-agnostic, using tech such as:
- AWS, Java Spring Boot Microservices, Node.js microservices, Groovy, Gradle, Jenkins, Docker, AppDynamics, Kibana, Elastic Search, plus much more!
The team is based in Liverpool & London Victoria
Most of our tech people are based at our HQ in Liverpool. However, we recently opened a fantastic new tech hub in the heart of London, Victoria.
Right now we’re underway modernising our entire tech stack – moving everything to the cloud – as such we need great cloud engineers who know what it takes to build high performance, scalable and secure platforms.
We’re also building out completely new systems where we know we will make a positive difference to our customers and so we need great software engineers to help us build best in class digital, ecommerce and FinTech systems that support millions of customers.
We’re also implementing some of the best Software as Service that’s out there in CRM, ERP, Order Management – we need software engineers and architects who have experience of integrating and evolving these systems
At the heart of all we do is Data and decisioning, this spans everything we do and we’re on a journey to build a data lake and decisioning platform – we’re on the lookout for data engineers who can help us build out our data lakes, operational data stores, data warehouses across complex decision environments that include open source technology, alongside propriety software such as SAS.
In this space we are redesigning our data lake in AWS to allow Data Science & Analytical teams access to explore and uncover new opportunities for our customers. In addition, we are building a new data warehouse capability in the cloud that will extract data from the data lake and can be used both internally for reporting and analysis, but will also feed our website to enhance and inspire our customers to engage with us more often. We also have a on premise Teradata Appliance and our goal is to migrate all of our warehousing capability into the cloud transforming the way we access and use our data.