The future of Shop Direct is really exciting but we wouldn’t be where we are today if it wasn’t for our past. Since way back in the 1890s when it all began, we’ve spotted opportunities, reacted to changes in shopping behaviours and embraced an ever-changing retail landscape.
Here’s a quick snapshot of some of the biggest moments in the Shop Direct story.
- 1932: Our longest standing retail brand, Littlewoods, started life in Liverpool as a catalogue retailer that let customers shop from the comfort of their homes and spread the cost of their purchases.
- 1937: Littlewoods’ first high street store opened.
- 1979: First order processed through Shaw, the former mill which housed our distribution centre for 40 years.
- 1980: First phone order was taken.
- 1985: Shop Direct Ireland launches.
- 1990s: First online order was taken.
- 2002: Our current owners acquired Littlewoods.
- 2005: Manchester based Great Universal Stores merged with Littlewoods to form one retail giant – Shop Direct.
- 2009: Very.co.uk launched.
- 2014: In-house UX lab built.
- 2015: Premium brand site VeryExclusive.co.uk launched.
- 2016: Our own brand V by Very launched.
- 2017: A busy year for us, our Very mobile app hits 1 million downloads and we opened the doors to our tech hub in London.
- 2018: Very chatbot goes live, helping our customers service their account through chat.
Let’s look to the future.
With our amazing data and tech capabilities and unique financial services products, we’re in the perfect place to continue to discover new paths in retail and pioneering new opportunities in fintech.
Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that?